The University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Doctor of Philosophy, Information Science and System Engineering, 2007
The University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Master of Science, Computer Science, 2004
The University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, 2002
Grubhub, New York, NY (Remote)
Data Scientist - Team Lead, November, 2017 - Present
Oculus360, Addison, TX
Senior Data Scientist, July, 2014 - November, 2017
- Lead, design, and implement the Natural Language Processing and Psycholinguistics algorithms driving Oculus360’s consumer analytic platform, which provides deep insights about consumers needs, wants, and desires.
- Designed and Developed systems to automatically determine the aspects, or attributes, associated with a set of products in consumer vernacular, extract occasions in which individuals use or associate with a product, the emotional state and sensory perceptions provoked by a product, and the personality and demographics (gender and age) of the consumers reviewing, tweeting, or posting about a product.
- Developed methods and analyses have led to significant increases in customers’ revenue due to sales campaigns and improved online product recommendation.
- Stood in as acting VP of Technology in charge of all development throughout the company.
Richland College, Dallas, TX
Adjunct Faculty, August, 2013 - June, 205
- Taught Introduction to Computers covering basic computer knowledge and Microsoft Office.
- Advised students on their degree program and pathways to future careers.
Language Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
Senior Scientist, March, 2011 - July, 2014
- Acted as the Principal Investigator leading a team of ten researchers, engineers, and linguists in the IARPA SCIL program designing and developing novel NLP techniques for sociolinguistic analysis of discourse in English, Chinese, and Arabic.
- Key contributor to numerous government funded projects including the identification and interpretation of metaphor across English, Russian, Farsi, and Spanish.
- Developed methods for the semantic understanding of topics, the induction of conceptual spaces around metaphoric expressions, and the automatic identification of linguistic metaphors.
- Demonstrated the effectiveness of research methodologies at numerous IARPA program level meetings, through monthly reports, and presentations at top Natural Language Processing conferences.
- Researched a method to semi-automatically recognize complex social actions in social media, which was presented to the Office of the Directory of National Intelligence.
General Electric Global Research, Niskayuna, NY
Computer Scientist, January, 2008 - March, 2011
- Developed an automated reporting system to analyze user behavior on the NBC web site. Made suggestions adopted by the NBC team based on automated and manual analyses that lead to significant increases in page views, average visit length, and user retention.
- Led the research and development of a social analytics package used to monitor online discussion around NBC television shows and Universal feature movies. The package included software to track mentions, topics, sentiment, and intent to watch. In addition, I developed a method for the automated analysis and ranking of sites in order to determine: 1) which sites would likely partner for a given tv show or movie; and 2) which sites had the best chance to make a video go viral.
- Lead architect and researcher for WISDOM (Web Information Spread Data Operations Module), which became LM (Lockheed Martin) WISDOM. Major areas of research included natural language processing, text mining, information retrieval, blog analysis, social network analysis, web mining, web analytics, and machine learning.
AIA International Advanced Information Institute, Tokushima, Japan
Lead Researcher, October, 2006 - October, 2007
- Lead researcher on a project to build a fully automated system for the reporting and analysis of news in Asia to aid in decision making and provide early warning for disasters.
- Project was based on my Ph.D. thesis and included modules for keyword extraction and tracking, sentiment analysis, knowledge graph construction, and automated summarization.
Prior to 2006
- Software Engineer at The University of Central Florida (2004-2006)
- Graduate Research Assistant on NASA funded project in NLP at The University of Central Florida (2003-2004)
- Independent software engineering consultant. (2000-2007)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- International Association of Engineers
- Information Processing Society of Japan (IPSJ)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon International Computer Science Honor Society (Treasurer at UCF)
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (Vice President at SCC)
Honors and Awards
- 4 Management Awards, General Electric (2008 - 2010)
- 4 Patent Awards, General Electric (2009 - 2011)
- Monbukagakusho, Japanese government scholarship (2006-2007)
- Travel Grant from The University of Tokushima (2007)
- Travel Grant from C\&C Foundation (2007)
- Travel Grant from C\&C Foundation (2006)
- Florida Graduate Incentive Grant (2003-2004)
- Travel Grant from The University of Central Florida (2001)
- 4th Place Florida State Programming Contest (1998)
- OCCASION-BASED CONSUMER ANALYTICS
- MULTI-FACTOR PERCEPTION ANALYSIS
- SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR FACILITATING THE GATHERING OF OPEN SOURCE INTELLIGENCE
- METHODS AND SYSTEMS FOR EXTRACTING AND ANALYZING ONLINE DISCUSSIONS
- SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR INTENT MINING
- METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR IDENTIFYING PATTERNS OF INTENT IN DYNAMIC SOCIAL AND CULTURAL SYSTEMS
- METHOD FOR EXTRACTING CONTENT FROM WEB SITES THROUGH DELETING NAVIGATION SECTIONS
- A METHOD OF VISUALIZATION FOR RAPIDLY DETERMINING THE VOLUME AND SENTIMENT OF A TERM
- A METHOD FOR CREATING AND VISUALIZING A TEMPORAL AND HIERARCHICAL SIGNATURE FOR WEB SITES