Proven researcher and developer with over 17 years experience and 75 published papers as a hands-on researcher, architect, manager, and developer in the design and development of Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, and Information Retrieval systems for commercial and government customers. Pioneered new Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning algorithms to understand everything from how successful a group will be using their discussions to which occasions drive a consumer’s purchase of product.
The University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Doctor of Philosophy, Information Science and System Engineering
The University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Master of Science, Computer Science
.. Dec 2004
The University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
Language Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
Principal Scientist, 2018 - Present
Hands-on Principal Researcher who has led and contributed to multiple government funded projects (e.g. DARPA, SOCOM, and NAVY).
- Developed a deep learning model to automatically determine and fill relevant Wikipedia-style infobox elements for entities and events.
- Developed technology to extract relations between individuals discussed in a corpus and the corresponding polarity (positive, negative, or neutral) of the relation based on the effect the event has on the participants.
- Developed a deep learning model for determining if a piece of content is biased or not in its reporting of facts.
Technologies Used: Java, Hadoop, Python, Pandas, Tensorflow, Keras, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, JanusGraph, SQL
Colorado Technical University, Online
Adjunct Faculty, 2018 - Present
Assistant Professor teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Computer Science.
Undergraduate Courses Taught:
- CS101 Problem Solving in Computer Science
- CS118 Principles of Programming Languages
- CS219 Python Programming
- CS226 Java Programming
- IT351 Advanced Java Programming
- SWE400 Software Construction
Graduate Courses Taught:
- CS686 Fundamentals of Big Data Analytics
- CS692 Algorithms for Data Science
Grubhub, New York, NY (Remote)
Data Scientist Team Lead, 2017 - 2018
- Lead the NLP and taxonomy team to normalize and categorize menu items, dishes, and restaurants to improve customer experience when searching and discovering restaurants and cuisines on Grubhub.
Technologies Used: Python, Spark, Spacy, SkLearn, Pandas, Matplotlib, AWS
Oculus360, Addison, TX
Data Science Consultant, 2017 - Present
- Design new algorithms and research direction for the Data Science team.
Vice President of Technology, 2014 - 2017
- Led, designed, and implemented the Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and Psycholinguistics algorithms driving Oculus360’s consumer analytic platform, which provides deep insights about consumers needs, wants, and desires.
- Designed and Developed systems to automatically determine the aspects, or attributes, associated with a set of products in consumer vernacular, extract occasions in which individuals use or associate with a product, the emotional state and sensory perceptions provoked by a product, and the personality and demographics (gender and age) of the consumers reviewing, tweeting, or posting about a product.
- Developed methods and analyses have led to significant increases in customers’ revenue due to sales campaigns and improved online product recommendation.
- Managed the development and data science team, which included managing the sprint and daily standups, mentoring and overseeing junior members, and employee reviews.
Technologies Used: Java, Scala, Python, Spark, Pandas, Tensorflow, Keras, Matplotlib, AWS
Richland College, Dallas, TX
Adjunct Faculty, 2013 - 2015
- Taught Introduction to Computers covering basic computer knowledge and Microsoft Office.
- Advised students on their degree program and pathways to future careers.
Language Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
Senior Scientist, 2011 - 2014
- Acted as the Principal Investigator leading a team of ten researchers, engineers, and linguists in the IARPA SCIL program designing and developing novel NLP techniques for sociolinguistic analysis of discourse in English, Chinese, and Arabic.
- Key contributor to numerous government funded projects including the identification and interpretation of metaphor across English, Russian, Farsi, and Spanish.
- Developed methods for the semantic understanding of topics, the induction of conceptual spaces around metaphoric expressions, and the automatic identification of linguistic metaphors.
- Demonstrated the effectiveness of research methodologies at numerous IARPA program level meetings, through monthly reports, and presentations at top Natural Language Processing conferences.
- Researched a method to semi-automatically recognize complex social actions in social media, which was presented to the Office of the Directory of National Intelligence.
General Electric Global Research, Niskayuna, NY
Computer Scientist, 2008 - 2011
- Developed an automated reporting system to analyze user behavior on the NBC web site. Made suggestions adopted by the NBC team based on automated and manual analyses that lead to significant increases in page views, average visit length, and user retention.
- Led the research and development of a social analytics package used to monitor online discussion around NBC television shows and Universal feature movies. The package included software to track mentions, topics, sentiment, and intent to watch. In addition, I developed a method for the automated analysis and ranking of sites in order to determine: 1) which sites would likely partner for a given tv show or movie; and 2) which sites had the best chance to make a video go viral.
- Lead architect and researcher for WISDOM (Web Information Spread Data Operations Module), which became LM (Lockheed Martin) WISDOM. Major areas of research included natural language processing, text mining, information retrieval, blog analysis, social network analysis, web mining, web analytics, and machine learning.
AIA International Advanced Information Institute, Tokushima, Japan
Lead Researcher, October, 2006 - October, 2007
- Lead researcher on a project to build a fully automated system for the reporting and analysis of news in Asia to aid in decision making and provide early warning for disasters.
- Project was based on my Ph.D. thesis and included modules for keyword extraction and tracking, sentiment analysis, knowledge graph construction, and automated summarization.
Prior to 2006
- Software Engineer at The University of Central Florida (2004-2006)
- Graduate Research Assistant on NASA funded project in NLP at The University of Central Florida (2003-2004)
- Independent software engineering consultant. (2000-2007)
Editor & Chief
- International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Applications 2009 – Present
- Special Issue of the Journal Engineering Letters on Advances in Asian Language Processing 2007
- Special Session on Frontiers of Language Processing and Information Retrieval for Asian Languages at the 2007 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Pattern Recognition 2007
- Special Session on Language Processing for Affective Computing at the 2006 International Conference on Intelligent Computing 2006
- International Journal of Managing Information Technology 2009 – Present
- International Journal on Web Service Computing 2010 – Present
- International Journal of Control Theory and Computer Modeling 2009 – Present
- International Journal of Computer Science, Engineering and Applications 2010 – Present
- International Journal of Web \& Semantic Technology 2010 – Present
- International Journal of Computational Intelligence Research (IJCIR) 2005 – Present
- International Association of Engineers 2006 – Present
- The Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics 2016
- International Social Computing, Behavioral Modeling and Prediction Conference 2014-2016
- The IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing 2012 - 2016
- The 1st Workshop on Metaphor in NLP 2013 2013
- The Fourth International Conference on Web \& Semantic Technology 2012
- The International Conference on Intelligent Computing 2007 - 2011
- International Joint Conferences on Computer, Information, and Systems Sciences, and Engineering 2009
- International Symposium and School on Advanced Distributed Systems 2006
- International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Affective Computing 2006
- The Annual Conference of the Association for Computational Linguistics
- IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems
- Association of Computational Linguistics
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology
- Applied Soft Computing
- ACM Transactions on Asian Language and Information Processing
- International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control
- IEEE Conference on Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Engineering
- IASTED Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing
- IASTED Intelligent Systems and Control
- IEEE CIS & RAM
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (Member)
- International Association of Engineers (Member)
- Information Processing Society of Japan (Member)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon International Computer Science Honor Society (Treasurer)
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (Vice President)
Honors and Awards
- 4 Management Awards, General Electric (2008 - 2010)
- 4 Patent Awards, General Electric (2009 - 2011)
- Monbukagakusho, Japanese government scholarship (2006-2007)
- Travel Grant from The University of Tokushima (2007)
- 2 Travel Grants from C\&C Foundation (2006,2007)
- Florida Graduate Incentive Grant (2003-2004)
- Travel Grant from The University of Central Florida (2001)
- 4th Place Florida State Programming Contest (1998)
- OCCASION-BASED CONSUMER ANALYTICS
- MULTI-FACTOR PERCEPTION ANALYSIS
- SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR FACILITATING THE GATHERING OF OPEN SOURCE INTELLIGENCE
- METHODS AND SYSTEMS FOR EXTRACTING AND ANALYZING ONLINE DISCUSSIONS
- SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR INTENT MINING
- METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR IDENTIFYING PATTERNS OF INTENT IN DYNAMIC SOCIAL AND CULTURAL SYSTEMS
- METHOD FOR EXTRACTING CONTENT FROM WEB SITES THROUGH DELETING NAVIGATION SECTIONS
- A METHOD OF VISUALIZATION FOR RAPIDLY DETERMINING THE VOLUME AND SENTIMENT OF A TERM
- A METHOD FOR CREATING AND VISUALIZING A TEMPORAL AND HIERARCHICAL SIGNATURE FOR WEB SITES